Top Toddler Toys
Some of the top toddler toys on the market today are designed as toddler education toys and are great for playing with your child to develop communication and interaction skills.
I really enjoy this stage. Your child finally reaches the stage where they are able to begin to actually play with toys rather than just using them all as a hammer to bash things with! Toys are not cheap though and your choice of purchase really makes the difference between a toy that is broken tomorrow or thrown in the bottom of the toy box and a quality item that your child will play with over and over before you put it away to pass on to younger family members.
Don't be fooled into buying the latest craze or TV themed merchandise. The marketing associated with these products is designed to persuade you that you really must buy these for your child so don't be taken in. The key at this age is toys that you can join in and play along with your child as they develop their learning and imagination. So it helps if it is a toy that grabs your attention as well as that of your little one. That way you won't mind playing with your little one again and again!
Toddler Toys Shopping Guide.
When shopping for top toys for toddlers and very young children. Here are the key points to keep in mind.
- A toddler is still at the stage of exploring by putting things into their mouth and throwing them around. Make sure that pieces are not small enough to be swallowed and not large enough to take a chunk out of your floor if dropped!
- Bright, primary colours help to captivate your child's attention.
- Toddlers are at the very early stages of pretending in play. Look for toys that are miniature versions of things they see around them so that they can make believe the things they see Mummy and Daddy do.
- You can introduce very early stages of educational concepts such as colours, shapes and sounds but there is plenty of time for this later so focus intead of good quality play experiences.
I Recommend ...
If you are looking for top toddler toys then I recommend the Fisher Price Brilliant Basics Range.
- They are strong, durable and hardwearing as well as hygienic / wipe clean.
- They give excellent value for money with many of the best items priced at under $10
- Designed to promote your child's early development they manufacture toys for developing motor skills, communication and early imaginative play.
For communication development I particularly recommend the Toddlerz Chatter Telephone. My little boy could spend hours lifting the receiver and then handing it to me to see 'who's there?' before taking the phone back and jabbering away as he 'talks' to Granny or Daddy or whoever we pretend is calling.
It is a very interactive toy. He always brings it to me to play with him and he takes turns with me in talking into the receiver. Learning to take turns is an important communication skill so this is a nice way to work on it through play.
The telephone is an old style twist dial phone and although Fisher Price also do a more modern cell phone design, my little one has no problem pretending with the original and it has the added bonus of acting as a pull along toy for a variation on the play.
You will be able to find the Fisher Price Brilliant Basics Range in any quality toy store locally. If you want to buy online, the Toddlerz Chatter Telephone is available for less than $10 here.
Back from Top Toddler Toys to Language Development...
Quotes that inspire...
"Reading and writing float on a sea of talk"
Top Talking Tips...
Sing Nursery Rhymes and Action Songs
Traditional songs and rhymes have hand actions that let your child join in and take a turn, even before they can sing the words.
This helps to work on listening, attention, imitation and turntaking, all important skills for Speech and Language development!
5 Top Speech Therapy Toys and Games...
- The Guess Who? game
- Mr Potato Head
- The Headbandz game
- Matching Pairs